How Many Olympic Medals Has India Won? The Reasons Behind It.
140 Cr Populated Country India. But if anyone from abroad asked me how many Olympic medals has India won? I don’t have an impressive answer.
Our athletes are trained daily in their field. They give a challenge to the opponent in many Olympic formats. Not only Olympic but India is already ruling some of the sports categories.
From 1900 till 2021, India dominance on Field Hockey, Shooting, Wrestling, Boxing, Badminton, Tennis and Weightlifting.
India’s Total Olympic Madel Sports wise
Olympic Madels by Country All Time (Top 5 Country) (exclude India)
An enormous difference between India and other countries worldwide. So, are we weaker in front of another country’s opponent? It’s not correct. India has left out some moments in the playing arena at Olympics.
- In the 2012 London Summer Olympics, Saina Nehwal won a bronze medal. It’s the only bronze medal in Badminton.
- In the 1960 Rome Olympics, Milkha Singh placed fourth in the 400 m competition. He gave a tough competition and played with all of his energy. But he missed a medal in the 400 m competition.
- India won consecutive gold medals in hockey from 1928 to 1956.
- Who was the first Indian to win an individual Olympic gold medal? Abhinav Bindra was the first individual player in the Shooting, who won a gold medal in the 2008 Beijing Games.
- Karnam Malleswari was India’s first woman, who took part in the 2000 Sydney Olympics. She won a bronze medal in weightlifting. The first Indian woman to win an Olympic medal.
- In 2021 India won total 7 medals. India’s most successful Olympics in terms of total winning medals.
Till 2021 so many players are preparing to get a chance to Olympic. But it’s not easy. Why are we not performing well? I am going to discuss some vital points, why India performs poorly in Olympics? Let’s discuss.
“It doesn’t matter what you’re trying to accomplish. It’s all a matter of discipline.”Wilma Rudolph,
The track and field athlete of America
- Despite the 2nd population country, our growing generation is not focusing on sports. Other uncultured behavior attracted them most of the time. They should focus and be concerned about it. If a new generation comes, they will glory India over the world.
- Indians have been focusing from the past on some selected playing formats. Cricket, hockey and football are among them. But you should be worried about it, there are a total of 8,000 types of sport around the world. We should focus on at least some of it.
- Indian parents don’t motivate them in sports. They oblige their kids to study. We got many international players. Players were focused on sports from their childhood. Their parents never stopped them. On the other hand, they focused only on one sport not study. I am telling you that study is as important as sports.
- Our people are preventing poverty every day. Almost 70% of Indian people are in poverty. This population can’t arrange food every day. How will they focus on sports? For this every year we are losing many athletes.
- Sports are needed from childhood. In India, a sports person has grown from 15-18+ on sports. Other countries are involving their children in sports from 5-7+ age.
- Politics interrupt sports in India. Players are encouraged by political people easily.
- India hasn’t such infrastructure which developed countries use. Outdoor and indoor infrastructure is so bad. Now developing slowly.
- Last vital talk: Many players have come to sports. But they don’t carry their success. Either they have lost or they left sports after getting any job on sports quota. They think the job will give them more support which sports don’t return them.
- Track your child’s future. Give them motivate to play new sports. Exam: Chess boxing, baseball and futsal etc.
How Many Olympic Medals Has India Won? Readers already know this. But India is developing day by day. The time is not far away when India will be the king of sports in the world.